Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Pastoral Preaching

Today I was thinking about what kind of preaching I do-I decided to call it Pastoral Preaching. My style is linked to my responsibility. A shepherd is a guide and protector that helps the sheep get from one place to another, feed, drink, laydown, rest, and ultimately produce something that is going to benefit others (the wool). My preaching isn't, "this is what the Bible says-like it or lump it", but "this is why (the Bible says such and such) and how we can have an abundant life with Christ on this earth (here and now)."

All my messages focus on living the Christian life. All messages include some evangelistic challenge. All messages conclude with an invitation to enjoy life with God by submitting to His commands. I guess since I am preaching through books of the Bible it would be called Expository Pastoral Preaching.

I am not a scholar but I do believe my Shepherd helps me be the shepherd He wants me to be to His people!

"The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away." I Peter 5:1-4

No comments: